Monday, July 2, 2012

MasterChef Australia says "Goodbye, Andrew"

Yes, its the second post in one day from me. Actually, the first post is a repost, pulled across from one of my other blogs. But that's not important. What is, is that I've grown sorta fond of some of the people on MasterChef this series. I've identified the ones I like the most, and the ones I would be the least upset to see leave. And last night, one of the ones I liked the most lost in the pressure test. He's come a long way, he made it to the top 13. He's got, just as he said himself, fantastic talent and tenacity. I hope he stays that way, even though he's no longer part of this series. I also hope the show believes in second chances, cause if he comes back next season, I can forsee a LOT more from him. Then again, I've felt the same way about several others, also.

I really, over the last nine weeks, have grown to like Andrew a lot. He ended up in yesterday's pressure test do to an invention challenge that was really WEIRD. The contestants had the choice of six pairs of ingredients. The second ingredient of each pair was chocolate. Not so strange, I agree. Just you wait. CAVIAR. VEGEMITE. BACON. BLUE CHEESE. CAULIFLOWER. BEETROOT.

Anyone who thought the words in capitals were the first part of each pair, is exactly right. And those pairs were WEIRD. Amina picked caviar. Beau picked cauliflower. Andrew picked blue cheese. They then had to match those with a choice of four chocolates. Some of the other contestants did really, really well. Congratulations go to Kylie, who won the challenge, as well as to Jules and Julia, who put up some pretty impressive desserts. All three, if I remember correctly, using vegemite and white chocolate as the 'heroes' of the dishes.

But that's not my point. My point is that I really liked Andrew. Hell, I liked all three of the ones in the pressure test last night, and I can't honestly say that I would have been less upset to see Amina or Beau leave. Beau's pressure test dish was perfect, or very close to it. Amina's and Andrew's both had flaws. I must be honest, and say that I thought the flaws with Amina's dish were more problematic than the ones with Andrew's. Andrew's chocolate wasn't tempered properly, and the parfait was delicious, but lacking in texture, due to a minimum of crunchy violet flowers and rhubarb. That must have been a bitter disappointment for Andrew.

I guess I should have seen Andrew's elimination coming, given the judges comments, but I didn't. I'm going to miss his creativity and his passion in the MasterChef kitchen, and I, like the cast of this year's series of MasterChef, wish him the very best of luck in everything in the future. According to the judges it was a tough call, and regardless of what happened last night, they were proud of all three who were in the pressure test for managing to plate up the dessert-y thing.

Beau's dessert-y thing was perfect, the judges raved over it. I can't really say much more.

Amina's desserty-thing was over-salted, although the sweeter parts of the dish seemed to shine through and cover the over-salting.

I must say, though, that cake/patisserie dessert thingy was HARD. I was staring at it and going "WTF?! HOW are they going to pull THIS one off?!?!" I think many of the other contestants cheering on the balcony thought the same thing. Andrew was very tense and stressed. I think he may have been in one pressure test too many, but he seemed in the other pressure tests to actually THRIVE on the atmosphere, whereas in last night's one, he was jumpy and agitated.

I'm really not sure whate else to say. It was a hard challenge, and the contestants all tried their best, I'm sure of that. So good luck for the future, Andrew, I look forward to seeing those 'ready meals for families' in supermarkets and food shops across Australia, whenever they come out. And good luck to everyone else left in the MasterChef 2012 series.

Uh, yeah. Terri out.

No comments: